Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Is Kanye West's New "Hitler" Comment A Result Of Bipolar Disorder?

Kanye West is one of the most polarizing musicians of our generation. His music has been immensely successful, while his on stage antics and public tirades that seem to have no real basis in fact, have made him hated by many. I remember thinking that Kanye West must have Bipolar Disorder after his most recent album, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" was released in 2010. The timing of the album along with it being the best of West's career so far, is what made me question if Kanye West has Bipolar Disorder. The content of the album is dark, emotional, and artistic all at the same time.

"My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" was recorded under unusual circumstances. West escaped from the media spotlight after his now infamous tirade during Taylor Swift's acceptance speech for winning the album of the year award at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards. This is just one of many tirades that Kanye West has had. In 2005, West said "George Bush doesn't care about black people" during the relief show for Hurricane Katrina on NBC. He later apologized saying, "I believe that in a situation of high emotion like that we as human beings don't always chose the right words". This quote has mania written all over it. Manic people are known to say things that they later regret. West also made comments in 2007 about how we was not chosen to be the opener of the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards because of his race.

Now in 2011, West has once again made controversial comments. West said, "I walk through the hotel and I walk down the street and people look at me like I’m f***ing insane, like I’m Hitler”, while performing at the Big Chill festival in England.  What? Kanye West really just compared himself to Hitler. I'm pretty sure when people think about Hitler, they don't say "Hitler and Kanye West, the two most evil people in history".  Kanye West just comes off as delusional, and this further emphasizes the argument.



Here are the symptoms of Bipolar Disorder that West has showed. He has immense creativity and artistic talent.  West also has said many things that he has later regretted in his public appearances. This can be caused by the impulsiveness associated with Bipolar Disorder. West has also stated publicly that he has been suicidal.  His comment saying that people look at him like he is Hitler comes off as paranoid and delusional.  If you take the symptoms of impulsive manic outbursts and his lack of a filter when speaking, delusions and paranoia, suicidal idealization, and add in West's musical creativity, Bipolar Disorder fits.

To read more about Bipolar Disorder and not filtering what you say, click here.

Read this post to learn more about Bipolar Disorder and creativity.

Kanye West's comments about George Bush below.







7 comments:

  1. it is not surprising that Kanye is indeed suffering from a mental disorder. His attitude and the way he speaks as of late is so telling of a bipolar person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on a huge Kanye kick recently, and I used to HATE him. I thought he was arrogant and stupid. Yet, recently, it's made a lot of sense.

    I struggle with Bipolar II, and everything he does and says can mirror how I have acted in the past. There have been times during my bouts of depression, hypomania, and mania where I've went off the handle, said/done things I regret (and some I don't), and ended up pushing a considerable amount of people away from me (yet, it's for the best I feel). Also, as a musician and blogger myself, you can easily read and hear where I am in my mental stability.

    Anyhoo, great blog man. For shameless self-promotion purposes, check out mine: maxdaulerio.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kanye. :) I always figured he had a mental illness of some sort, and I find it kind of ironic that people tend to brush off his behavior as "narcissism", which in itself isn't a very casual word.

    People just don't understand "abnormalities" of the psyche unless it happens to them, or someone they love. And even then, sometimes the ignorance never leaves them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the things he does/has done and says/has said don't point to Bipolar in my humble opinion. And the comment "Bush doesn't care about black people" is NOT a comment showing the slightest bit of bipolar - that's actually a rational comment (and this is a white person speaking) as far as I'm concerned. No, I instead find Frontal Lobe Damage a far more likely explanation for his behaviour in more recent years. It just feels like it fits better to me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bipolar I here, I saw mdbtf as a bipolar album of extreme mania and depression. If he has it he should say so. He is a role model to me, but he needs help. I hope he gets it and if he see's this somehow he takes care and good luck
    ChrisPC

    ReplyDelete